Sunday, April 7, 2013

Oh, you mean you didn't want my knees in your face? #TallPeopleProblems


Sit down, get comfortable, take a minute and really stretch out. Today we’re going to be addressing the issue of chairs, specifically those in an auditorium/stadium setting.


Photo courtesy of Judy and Chrissy. 
While attending a performance or a ball game, have you ever noticed how close you’re sitting to the person in front of you? Any closer and you’d be straddling the poor individual’s shoulders. This problem is magnified for taller people.

When I sit down behind someone, my legs are given two options; I can either develop a new joint midway down my femur, or I can assume the splits position. Naturally, I go with the splits. 



Like this, only less enthusiastic. 
This creates an uncomfortable environment for all parties involved and I oftentimes get a feeling as if I “double parked.” My legs are spread so wide, it’s nearly impossible for people to sit on either side of me, and has lead to some pretty accusatory glares.

On the flip side, it also gives me the opportunity to make situations even more awkward just for my own enjoyment purposes. Have you ever been leg-to-leg with somebody and just given him or her a look as if to sincerely say, “I’m so glad you sat next to me.” They tend to find new seats unusually fast. I know, I’m evil. 



"How you doing?"
Instead of asking for comments this week, I want to ask a little more of you. Let's do an experiment.

For those of you who are shorter and have never had this problem, I'd like for you to go to the local movie theatre, ballpark or auditorium and sit like a tall person. Spread your legs as wide as they'll go regardless of whether or not somebody is sitting next to you. Come back and comment on either how uncomfortable it was to sit like that for a couple hours, how many people shot you accusatory looks or how many phone numbers you got out of it!

For all my tall readers, I don't want the short people to have all the fun. Be creative! Let's get even more awkward. Wear a top hat to the movies or wherever! Afterwards, of course, come back here and share your story!

No comments:

Post a Comment