Sunday, March 10, 2013

"You're going to try to squeeze me in that?" #TallPeopleProblems


I visit the hospital more often than the average person. I like the scenery. Seriously though, if I could get frequent flyer miles from hospital stays, surgeries and stiches, I’d have enough miles to take me to the moon and back. Twice.

The reason this morbid subject is on the operating table this week is because I was recently reminded how difficult it is for someone like me to go through medical examinations by my most recent MRI.

For those of you who are not familiar with an MRI machine, it looks like this, only louder.

Pictured above is an MRI machine. For the record, this is one of the loudest things on the planet, right up there next to a blue whale's sneeze and dropping the shampoo bottle in the shower. That little hole in the center is about 24 inches in diameter. I happen to be exactly 25 inches across from shoulder to shoulder. Awesome. This means I am literally squeezed into the tube, my whole body vibrating because my shoulders are up against the inside of the machine while the giant coils pulsate to create a magnetic field. In the midst of all this, I inevitably hear the operator say, “Try to stop moving.” To which I always have to reply, “I’ll stop moving as soon as the machine does.”


The humiliation doesn’t stop at MRIs. A couple months back, I had to get a chest x-ray. Only one problem: the x-ray couldn’t take a picture of my entire chest in one shot. Oh boy. For each angle that my doc needed, the technician had to take two x-rays, one of the upper half of my chest and one of the lower. I don’t know if you’re keeping track, but that’s twice the amount of radiation from x-rays that we tall people are exposed to.

It’s not always the complicated pieces of equipment that causes problems either. I have to tell the nurses my own height because I’m too tall for the detecto standing scale with height rod. Apparently, when the “height rod” reaches 78 inches, its natural tendency is to sort of… fall off. Needless to say, they don’t let me on that ride anymore.

If you’ve ever wished you were taller, and happen to have a bunch of medical issues, you can take solace in knowing that being short is beneficial at the hospital. If you’re tall and in the hospital all the time… Well, all I can say is that I hope you’re a doctor and not a patient. Don’t fret too much about it though; you’re not alone. Instead, slap a smile on your face, and use the comment box as an outlet for all your frustrations! I look forward to hearing them!

13 comments:

  1. OMG far too claustrophobic to even contemplate !! You are special in more ways than one! Looking foward to your next blog and I am a not so tall, not so short kinda gal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sometimes attach a mirror to the headpiece so that you can see your toes which helps with the claustrophobia! Thanks for the support, it means a lot, and I'm glad that an average gal can find something interesting in these posts! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. The worst is when the nurses try to measure your height, but they are too short to reach! #tallpeopleproblems

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I got an MRI for my back, some of them came out all shaky — not because I was moving, but because I'm little it picked up on me breathing as motion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MRIs scare the living crap out of me if I actually take the time to think about what I am doing. I have no idea why, maybe it is because of the loud noise as you mentioned. But when I got an MRI I was able to wear headphones because I was getting it for my ankle.
    I never really thought about this kind of problem because as you mentioned, I happen to be one of the short people. I like how you gave the experience a different take that I was not expecting. It is nice to feel connected to what you are going through without actually being around you when these things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting post! I never have thought of the many troubles for you or other tall people at the hospital or doctor's offices. And you're post was relatable to me because I too have been to Children's in Cincinnati so much that I used to joke that I helped build some of their new wings of the hospital. Great post. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, I always enjoy your posts, you have a very unique writing style and your humor always shines through. Your posts let the reader know what the world's like through the eyes of a tall person. I admit it I've always wanted to be taller not as tall as you are, but just a couple more inches. The photo adds to the post, I've never had an MRI or even seen an MRI machine so the visual really helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dreaded MRI machine, I am all too familiar with the loud bangs and clangs of that giant tube. I got so use to the noise I've fallen asleep getting them before. I couldn't imagine being squeezed into it, I would tell them come up with something new because I hate laying in that thing. And I'm sure it takes longer if you're so big that its moving you. I feel for you. Now onto the actual post I definitely enjoyed. I especially liked your comedic description of how loud it really is (seriously people if you've never had one, you won't get it), Good posts though, keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to have the pleasure of getting an MRI, and hopefully it stays that way. I'm just not a big fan of the doctor, but I'm always interested to hear your escapades at the hospital. Your posts always contain some fresh humor, which I feel is incredibly important in blogging. Even if I'm writing about sports, I like to inject a little humor or sarcasm to spice things up.

    The placement of your photo is a little awkward. Perhaps you align it to the right or left? That's my only recommendation.

    Nice job, Christopher Byer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about you but I don't plan on being in the hospital much, so I still stand firm on wanting to be at least 6'5" one day. (Not happening) Anyway...I enjoyed this post, it was easy to read and I could understand everything you explained. I can relate because I had an MRI done on me when I was about 8, I was a little concussed from falling out of a tree so fortunately I don't remember the loud noise what so ever. Id suggest aligning the photo with the text so it flows with the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Feedback:
    I love that this blog gives me a new perspective to think about besides my own.
    Each post contains variety in the problems with being tall. I never thought about how being tall could effect having health problems, especially MRI's.
    Constructive Criticism:
    What are the positive aspects of being tall? Maybe a future blog post idea...
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, I find your blog posts to be quite entertaining and make me chuckle now and then. I actually read your blog whenever you update it. As you already know, I am farely short being 5'1. I have a lot of short girl problems so reading the point of view from someone with the total opposite problems is very interesting and intriguing to me. I like that you include different aspects of your problems, like even from a short person's point of view. I also like that you include all the necessary information when telling your story. You make it easy to understand and picture. You have a great writing style and some a reader's stand point you have a very natural aspect to your writing. One thing to consider would be maybe to align the picture to the left or to the right instead of straight in the middle. Other than that, nice job mr.giant. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was great. I think hospitals suck from all angles. Your use of humor is fantastic. I love the comparison of the MRI machine and dropping shampoo in the shower. The fact that you had several examples of your experiences at the hospital really helped your case . However, all this talk of you at the hospital makes the reader (or at least me) curious as to why exactly you spend so much time there, but I understand that's totally personal. So, I guess my only suggestion would be to read back over your post as one of your readers might, and then try to identify where you are leading them and what they might be expecting by the end of the post. Regardless, your posts are continually well written and always very entertaining. Great job man.

    ReplyDelete